The SEC Community Service Graduate Scholarship is named after former Associate Commissioner Brad Davis. Davis succumbed to cancer on March 2, 2006. He had been on the staff of the SEC since 1988, first as Deputy Commissioner until 1994, when he was promoted to Associate Commissioner.
As recipients of the award, Cross and Morrissett will receive a $5,000 graduate scholarship provided by the SEC. Both nominees are also up for the Brad Davis Male and Female Community Service Leader of the Year Award, with each selection receiving a $10,000 graduate scholarship.
Cross, a three-time SEC Honor Roll recipient, two-time All-American Scholar, two-time SEC Community Service Selection and a 2020 PING All-America Honorable Mention, was a member of the 2018-19 VOLeaders Academy class and has completed 66 hours of community service throughout his college career.
Cross was recently named one of five finalists for the 2022 Byron Nelson Award, which is given annually to the Division I, II, III or NAIA scholar-athlete of the year. The recipient, a senior graduate, is recognized for achievement in the classroom, on the course, and in their community.
On the course this season, Cross has been the most consistent force on the Tennessee roster. He finished the regular season fourth in the SEC and first on the team in stroke average – a mark that now stands at 69.59 after the SEC championships.
The Sevierville native capped off the regular season with his first career collegiate individual title at the Lewis Chitengwa Memorial in Charlottesville, Va., and followed it up with a tied fifth-place finish in stroke play at the SEC Championships. . Cross has been Tennessee’s top finisher in its last five tournaments.
Morrissett, a four-time SEC Honor Roll recipient and three-time Big 12 Academic All-Conference member, logged an astonishing 333 hours of community service during his five years at UT. The majority of his hours have been spent volunteering with the FUTURE program and the Koinonia Foundation.
Enjoying second-team All-America recognition and Big 12 All-Conference honors in 2021, the native of Atoka, Tennessee, is a member of Tennessee College Rowing, which holds a 16-6 record. on the season with four top-20 wins. The group has earned four Big 12 Boat of the Week accolades this season, doubling the number of weekly awards UT has earned since joining the conference in 2015.
Boat earned its fourth conference honor after going 7-2 with two top-20 wins at the Big Ten Invitational, beating No. 12 Virginia, No. 20 Indiana, Dartmouth, Iowa , Michigan State, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Morrissett and the Lady Vols have been ranked in the Pocock Coaches Poll every week this season.
2021-22 Brad Davis SEC Women’s Community Service Award winners:
- Griffin James, Gymnastics, Alabama
- Paris Peoples, Athletics, Arkansas
- Allie Riddle, Gymnastics, Auburn
- Bettina Boszormenyi, swimming and diving, Florida
- Miller Lantis, riding, Georgia
- Riley Gaines, swimming and diving, Kentucky
- Shelbi Sunseri, softball, LSU
- Mimi Reid, Basketball, Miss Ole
- Ashley Melcherts, Athletics, Mississippi State
- Ellie Wright, Tennis, Missouri
- Briana Reckling, Athletics, South Carolina
- Lindsey MorrissetRowing, Tennessee
- Rhian Murphy, Equestrian, Texas A&M
- Abby Burke, swimming and diving, Vanderbilt
2021-22 Brad Davis SEC Community Service Award Male Winners:
- Patrick Kaukovata, Tennis, Alabama
- Joshua Bortnick, Tennis, Arkansas
- Conner Pruitt, swimming and diving, Auburn
- Anthony Duruji, Basketball, Florida
- Keegan Walsh, swimming and diving, Georgia
- Mason Hazelwood, Baseball, Kentucky
- Nick Watson, Tennis, LSU
- Ben Savino, Athletics, Ole Miss
- Jaylon Reed, Soccer, Mississippi State
- Dawson Downing, Soccer, Missouri
- David Olds, Athletics, South Carolina
- Spencer CrossGolf, Tennessee
- Rody Barker, baseball, Texas A&M
- Lucas Mowery, Athletics, Vanderbilt