A decade after Irene’s fury, no sign of a Vermont teenager | Vermont News



By WILSON RING, Associated Press

A decade after a teenager from Vermont went missing as Tropical Storm Irene hit the state, his mother is still hoping someone can answer the question about what happened to her.

Marble Arvidson was 17 when he left his foster home in Brattleboro with a man who appeared to be in his 20s on the afternoon of August 27, 2011, saying he would be back in half an hour. It was hours before the rains started. He was never seen again.

By the time Marble went missing the next day, regular communications were cut and emergency responders overwhelmed by the scale of the natural disaster.

At first everyone thought the gangly teenager with a volatile temperament and penchant for black clothes might have run away – Marble used to spend the night outside – but over the years his mother, Sigrid Arvidson , has practically abandoned this possibility.

Political cartoons

“As a mother, I can’t help but search for his physical body, whether it’s in it or whether his body is the envelope he lived in,” said Arvidson, who now lives in Abiquiu, New York. -Mexico, to the Associated Press. Friday.

She will be back in Vermont on Saturday for a public rally in Brattleboro, near where her son was last seen. She will place a marker and make a statement which will be part of a plea for more information.

The reward for information about what happened to Marble is now $ 10,000, she said.

Arvidson said there were probably 10 possibilities of what happened to his son, from the relatively benign like falling and hitting his head before rolling down a slope in the water, to murder.

Brattleboro Police Lt. Jeremy Evans said he reopened the investigation into what happened to Marble earlier this year, to coincide with the 10th anniversary of his disappearance.

They are re-interviewing around 100 possible witnesses and following the dozens of advice they received a decade ago and more recently through the ministry’s whistleblower line.

Evans said they were receiving help from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and the New England State Police Intelligence Network. The case is listed on the Vermont State Police Missing Persons page.

Evans also doesn’t know what happened to Marble.

“The only thing we can be comfortable saying is that he’s passed away,” Evans said.

When Irene roared along the coast in August 2011, she killed at least 46 people in 13 states and a handful more in the Caribbean. Many in the Northeast breathed a sigh of relief when the New York area was largely spared. Then the storm settled over Vermont.

Parts of Vermont received 11 inches (28 centimeters) of rain in 24 hours. The storm killed six people in the state, washed homes from their foundations, and damaged or destroyed more than 200 bridges and 500 miles (805 kilometers) of highway.

A number of events are planned to mark 10 years since Irene’s fury on August 28, 2011, the date of the state’s largest natural disaster since a 1927 flood.

For much of Vermont, Irene is now history, with the rebuilding complete. But not for Arvidson or the Brattleboro Police.

“It’s really part of Irene because it got in the way of every aspect of trying to find him,” Arvidson said.

Arvidson said she believes there are people who know something about what happened to her son. She hopes these people have matured and are willing to do whatever it takes to help find Marble.

“Maybe they’ve clung to something and they’re assuming someone knows about it,” she said. “But now is a good time to get rid of it.”

Copyright 2021 The Associated press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



Leave A Reply